[Zope] Global Product Configuration and GUIs

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:54:19 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Johan Carlsson wrote:

>   Using a configuration file in the Products/product
>   directory would be one way to do it.
>   But I really would like to put configuration forms
>   in the Control Panel/Products/product area and/or
>   save configuration properties as objects/object-properties
>   instead of conf. file.

I think a nicer way of doing this would be to have a product configuration
object, the consructor of which will force its ID to be something your
objects know (eg. MyProductConfig). If you place an instance of this
in your root Zope folder, it is then a global configuration due to aquisition,
but it allows people to override the settings in subfolders (and you can
revoke rights to create these objects if you don't want people overriding
your settings).

>   Anyone have suggestions how to do this?

I think you can modify objects in your product directory by referencing
them as "Control_Panel.Products.MyProduct.MyGlobalProductConfObject.attribute"

 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
  // E N  Senior Systems Alchemist      Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
 //__     Computer Science, RMIT 	 WWW: http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~zen