[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

Michael Hirsch hirsch@z2i.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:23:44 -0400 (EDT)

Jay, Dylan writes:

 > I seem to be the one that rains on a lot of parades but I thought this was
 > the time to bring up something thats been bothering me for awhile. The name
 > ZOPE. In my opinion its not very good. It doesn't convey the   sense of an
 > enterprise object oriented web publishing system. It sounds silly. Zope as
 > in Soap. Zope on a Rope. People look at me strange when I say I've been
 > working with Zope.
 > I think Z Object Publishing Environment is fine but thats not a name its a
 > description. I personally think it needs a name that suggests the power,
 > stability and flexibility that is Zope.
 >
 > Am I alone in this thought?

No, you are not.  My company have almost committed to using ZOPE, but
one thing we had to overcome was distrust of the name.  Somehow
"StoryServer" seems to convey more than "zope".  Fortunately, we've
overcome the name prejudice.

--
--Michael