[Zope] Question on: How-To: When Cookies won't do it

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:52:31 +0200

At 11:10 18/10/99 , Johan Carlsson wrote:

>   I browsed trough the How-To: When Cookies won't do it
>   and I have some questions.
>
>   How much speed do you really gain from using file for
>   data marshaling?
>
>   Would it be a good idea to use Object Pooling (pre created
>   objects) to speed up a session object solution?
>
>   The reason I don't like the file based solution is that
>   I won't scale with ZEO but a Object solution would, right?
>   There would also be possible for cool stuff like session
>   failover and long time session (much list version but individual
>   and perhaps with a limited scoop)
>
>   Another reason is that I like the concept of the ZODB,
>   why think in a non ZODB way?

One word: Transactions.

Every change to a ZODB persistent object causes another transaction to be
written to storage. A busy site with lots of sessions will cause the
Data.fs file to grow at quite a rate. Pavlos choose this solution to avoid
this growth.

I suggested trying to use a seperate instance of the ZODB, using
MemoryStorage, so that all session objects would be in memory. This could
then maybe be extended to support ZEO as well, but I haven't really dived
into that yet.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer