[Zope] Question on: How-To: When Cookies won't do it

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:15:12 +0200

At 14:29 18/10/99 , Johan Carlsson wrote:
> > There are plans to allow use of multiple Storage types within one Zope
> > object hierarchy. Also, there are Storage available now, that do not
> > support Undo (discard old versions). When multiple storages are
> > supported, you could use a in-memory storage without undo for session data.
>
>And the in-memory storage would have it's own ZEO-server for distributing
>and load-balancing session data, I suppose.
>That explains the need for the in-memory storage option.
>
>(Is this what DC have in mind, DC folks?)

The way  understand ZEO and ZODB in general works, and the way multiple
storages work, the underlying Starge for different objects is otherwise
transparent. An object just acts like a Persistent object (so, practically
transparant to the developer), wether it is stored in the part of the
object hierarchy that is FileStorage based, or MemoryStorage. This would
automatically work on ZEO as well, no separate ZEO server required.

>It would be great to have a session API pretty soon, that
>could be used to create session aware prototypes that
>could migrate to ZEO and Multiple Storage/In-Memory Session
>solutions in the future. The session implementation could be
>something less complicated for a prototype.
>Or is that to much work and to much unknown facts about
>future implementations?

It would be. I once wrote a proposal for Zope sessions, but back then my
knowledge of Zope was too limited. I personally would like to see both
cookie and URL based sessions, with a fixed set of variables to be stored
(like a property sheet on a ZClass has right now, not like the property
sheets on Folders), so that you can give access to the session object to a
third party, without fear of denial of service attacks.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer