[Zope] Zope.org performance

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:35:00 -0400

Note that ~10am is one of the peak usage times for internet bandwidth.

> If the site's poor performance is explainable, then please, we want an
> explanation.  If not, then what kind of options do we have if
> we plan to
> deploy Zope in a similar, as I see it now, medium sized web
> site and why
> aren't they used on www.zope.org?

The Zope site is currently under a huge strain due to the explosive
popularity of Zope.

> This has become somewhat of a FAQ.  Are there any statistics
> about what
> kind of setup Zope.org is running?  How many machines, pcgi
> or ZServer,
> how many hits/day, mean response time, ZODB size, is it using
> ZEO, etc.?

It is _one_ little trooper of a PII 350Mhz.  It is running Apache 1.3.4
through PCGI to ZServer running with six Zope threads.  It currently
gets approx 50,000 hits per day.  The ZODB size, packed, is 150+ MB and
slowly growing.  There is nothing really special about this hardware,
just a straight up intel box with a SCSI drive and 256MB of memory.  The
machine is hosted in Los Angeles, CA by Codeit computing on a 10Mbit
ethernet.

The load average, right at this moment, is 6.28  (ouch!)

The machine serves as our web server, mail server, mail-list server
(which sends over a hundred messages to over a thousand people a day,
you do the math), and demo server.

We are right now in discussion with a major linux hardware vendor about
getting a couple big boxes to take the strain.

The upshot of all this is that Zope has been running beautifully on the
zope site under this huge strain; this is real world testing in action.
No one anticipiated the massive surge in resources that happened over
the past three months.  In June, we had 500K hits per month, in August,
1.1M.  This month looks like it's going to break all the records.

-Michel