[Zope] Newbie Acquisition Question

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:35:03 -0400

I've been playing with Zope for a couple of days.  Coming from a Smalltalk
background, many of the concepts employed by Zope are very
familiar.  However, I seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about how
acquisition works.  As an experiment, I created a Folder object called
"Testing".  I defined an index_html document with the following DTML code:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-var folderName>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

I also defined a DTML method in Testing called "folderName" which contained
the following:

Testing

I viewed the page in a browser via http://localhost:8080/Testing and sure
enough I saw a page with the phrase "Testing" correctly displayed.  I then
created a Folder within Testing called "SubTest".  In SubTest, I defined
one DTML method called "folderName"  Inside of this method I put the contents:

SubTest

I then displayed the page via http://localhost:8080/Testing/SubTest and was
confused when the screen still displayed the phrase "Testing" instead of
"SubTest".  It's probably my Smalltalk bias, but I was expecting that the
system would look up the tree from SubTest until it found an index_html
that it could display.  Having found that, it would see that it needed to
execute the method "folderName".  Since the object being displayed was
SubTest, I assumed that it would try to find the "folderName" method
starting in SubTest.  Having found it, it would use the result from that
method for display.  However, this is not what happened.  Where did I go
wrong?  I was under the impression that I could factor common behavior up
the tree and only implement distinct behavior at lower levels.  Did I just
do something wrong?  Is there a way to accomplish what I want to accomplish?

Thanks.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103