[Zope] Some questions for experienced zopers

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:37:34 -0400

kayak <van_lindberg@byu.edu> wrote

> I've got two pressing questions that I can't seem to find answers
> to on zope.org:
>
> 1.  What is the relationship that dtml has (if any) to
> javascript?  Specifically,
> I want to do onmouseover swapping of a .gif.  It seems to me that
> it would be simple with dtml, something like
>     <dtml-if img1 mouseover == true>
>        <dtml-var img2>
>    <dtml-else>
>        <dtml-var img1>
>    </dtml-if>
>
> but I can't find a reference to any such functions.  Otherwise,
> what is the best way to integrate js and dtml?

A browser normally does mouseovers completely in the browser.  That is, the
server has no way to know that a mouseover occurred.  This is what you normally
want, because the only way to interact with the server is to request another
page.  You don't want to ask for a new page just for a mouseover event.  There
are a few standard ways to handle the mouseover change ov images using
javascript on the browser - many javascript books and articles show how to do it
(usually by caching the other image in a javascript variable).

So DTML wouldn't be involved at all.

Tom Passin