[Zope] ZCatalog questions

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:13:44 +0200

At 16:44 19/10/99 , Itamar wrote:
>1.  What's the difference between the Metadata tab and the Indexing tab?

Indexes can be searched, and the data in the columns named on the metadata
tab are returned in the results. It is like a select on a database table.
You search on certain criteria (the indexes), and you get certain columns
back (the metadata)..

>2.  I understood from the draft CatalogAwareness how-to that editing a
>propertysheet with the built-in interface doesn't update the catalog -
>you have to do it manually.  Is it possible to check if an object
>inherits from CatalogAware?  Because if so, I'd change Zope to update
>the catalog automatically if the changed object was CatalogAware.

You do not always want this. One example is the Zope.org website. Only
reviewed and approved items go in the site index. Automatic indexing would
be wrong there. It is trivial to do your own interface, so this is not
something that is going to be added, I think.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer