[Zope] Using "global" images in /root/subfolder

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:03:15 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Stefan Hoffmeister wrote:

> >    <dtml-var "globalImage(img='mail_png')">
>
> does not work, although this works (thanks!):
>
> >    <dtml-var "globalImage(this(),REQUEST,img='mail_png')">
>
> Given that the content of the globalImage DTML Document is just
>
>   <dtml-with "images">
>     <dtml-var "_.getitem(img)">
>   </dtml-with>
>
> why would "globalImage(img='mail_png')" [which is "nice + friendly"] fail
> with an "access denied to images" error?
>
> I am trying to figure out how to reduce redundancy with the help of
> acquisition techniques. And in my book "this(),REQUEST," is sort of
> redundant, albeit apparently necessary, information that has to be
> "created" and "maintained" - and exactly what I do want to get rid of.

DTML methods require passing of 'self' to them, unlike methods in just
about every other OO environment. <dtml-var globalImage> seems to
be identical to <dtml-var "globalImage(this(),REQUEST)">. However,
if you use the "" form, the 'self' and 'REQUEST' arguments don't default
to anything sensible, as in some pathalogical cases people seem to
depend on testing this()==None.

There was some discussion on zope-dev recently about this, but no 'official'
comments on if it is worth tidying up the syntax at the expense of breaking
pathalogical (IMHO) cases :-)

Of course, I probably wouldn't call these cases pathalogical if I had
written any myself :-)

 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
  // E N  Senior Systems Alchemist      Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au