[Zope] ZPyGreSQLDA

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:09:04 -0500

Hey all -
I'm just back from a couple weeks of vacation, and I'm slogging through
the (over a thousand!) messages in my Zope lists folder. I'll be getting
back into looking at ZPyGreSQLDA next week (actual work needs to get
caught up, as well) Just before I left, Maurice Davis (the original
ZPyGreSQLDA author) resurfaced, as was going to take a look at it again.
In the process, we discovered that what I posted was my latest hacked up
version, but without the additions to the README that I remember making.
(Why does one always delete the backups _just_ before discovering that
the current version is wrong?)

As to my difficulties: I'm still not clear on when Zope will fire the
various transaction methods. With my latest work, if I cause a SQL error
(with a table name typo, for example), that DB connection no longer uses
transactions at all, and needs to be closed/reopened to start using them
again.

I also need to understand the DB connection pool code: under some
conditions, I seemed to be getting a growing number of connections to
the backend. All this was a month (or more) ago, and early in the Zope2
release cycle, which is nearly prehistoric in Zope/Internet development
time. It all needs a bit more going over.

Ross