[Zope] Editing downloaded + installed product?

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:29:42 -0600

Ian Blenke wrote:

> I'm running Zope at home on a dual-celeron 500 with a RAID array
> and a large data.fs (approaching 1.5gb). Whenever I need to stop
> or restart Zope it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to finish.
>
> Imagine embedding Microsoft XLS, Word, Visio, or any other form
> of native file within a ZODB objectstore (for an Intranet
> application)... How big can your data.fs store grow before it
> takes *hours* to roll forward transactions to quiesce Zope into
> a running state?

On  the box you mention, using ext2fs, it probably can't, due to 2GB
filesize limitations. :-|

I have a dual celeron 300 hooked up to an HP 12H AutoRaid and it loads a
1.2ish gig Data.fs in under a minute, so what your Data.fs sits on does
seem to affect it, as would RAM, amounts I would expect. How much RAM is
in that machine? I am not too sure about the memory handling in Zope,
but it seems to me that loading 1.5 GB into Zope may be cuasing you to
hit swap, increasing the time.

Perhaps I'll try to overload the RAM on the 3000, and see what
difference it makes.

Perhaps making a ramdisk, and loading the Data.fs into it to laod from
may tell us some interesting things ....

> How much pain are you willing to put up with before you drop
> versions and undo's to eliminate the need for transactions?

Depends upon how much you want or need transactions or versions.

> It's beginning to look like the DBM store may be my best option.
>
> How much effort would it really take to store Zope pickles into
> LDAP space? :)

Dunno, haven't looked at that, been to busy with other stuff :-)

--
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
Wright brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." -- Carl