[Zope] Front door on the Zope web site (Was Re: [Zope] SmartWorker)

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:56:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Paul Everitt wrote:
> This is a very, very important thread to me.  I'm looking for two
> things:
>
>   o What questions should the Zope.org home page, and pages
>     one click away, answer?
>
>   o What are some effective ways to answer those questions?

   Currently Zope.org oriented primarily toward Zope developers. If you
want to restructure the site to attract business eyes, I think the
following questions are important:

   Q1. Frontdoor: What is Zope, how it can improve your business, why
opensource platform better suites your needs.

   Q2. Frontdoor: What major players are already employed Zope.

   Q3. Frontdor: Zope news. Not developers news, but news in general: new
zope-powered sites, articles about Zope in Big Magazines, etc. Short. Also
additional page(s) with more details, and past news.

   Q4. Zope status:  How to download, how and what to buy, quality of
documentation, commercial products and support.

   Q5. Zope status: Latest and stable version, precompiled binaries for as
many platforms as possible (not only because it is good by itself, but to
attract managers and their developers).

   Q6. Developer resources: entry-level documentation ("I just downloaded
precompiled tarball; what next?"), deep documentation, HOWTOs, list of
available components.

   And some parts of answer for Q1:

   <B>Zope</B> is <small>free, open-source</small> component-based
object-oriented <B>Web application platform</B>.

   Zope can improve your business by allowing you to develop your Web
applications easily, with rights tools. Zope is free, thus making your
applications cheaper. Zope is open-sourced, thus allowing your developers
to understand every aspect of its internals. Zope conforms to standards.
Zope talks HTTP/FTP/WebDAV/FastCGI/etc protocols.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru