[Zope] Zope Newbie Needs Install Help

Oleg Broytmann phd@emerald.netskate.ru
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:35:54 +0400 (MSD)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, John Turner wrote:
> Zope has been generating a lot of buzz, so I decided to check it out.  I
> have been through the bugs list, the online docs, the docs distributed
> with Zope, and have searched this list, to no avail.  Joining the list is
> my last resort.

   Joining the list is your primary duty! Welcome to the Zope community!

> Basically, after two weeks of trying, I have yet to get Zope to work.  I
[skip]
> Nothing has worked so far.  It is very frustrating.  The docs do not
> coincide with the actual software (port numbers are wrong, installation
> steps that are listed in the docs don't happen when you install the
> software, etc).
>
> It certainly hasn't been fun.  From the traffic on this list, it looks
> like Zope is actually something that works, but so far, I have yet to see
> it.  I'm still eager to try it, but my eagerness is fading fast! <grin>
> I'm an accomplished webmaster with experience on many platforms, and I've
> found my experiences so far with Zope to be extremely discouraging.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to this Zope newbie.

   Ah, bad to hear all that. Yes, in the ideal world all software work out
of the box, documentation is perfect - and all for free. But dear, it is
not ideal world (at least I don't think so, do you? kidding :). Either you
pay for commercial support (no, I do not work for DigiCool, and I am not
their customer), or take part in community (read: pay with your time, not
money).

   To say of myself - I had installed Zope few months ago just by reading
docs and I had installed ZPygreSQL Database Adapter with minor support from
the community. No, I don't think the documentation is "bad" - it is just
not for beginners.
   Wanna have better documenataion? Write it! There is no other way in the
world of free software.

   (I hope this don't sounds rude - I really don't mean something bad about
you personnaly.)

> - John Turner

Oleg.
----