[Zope] Zope Newbie Needs Install Help

John Turner jturner@johnturner.com
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 06:09:49 -0700 (PDT)

OK, thanks for all the quick replies.  Here is more info:

- I'm aware of the python 1.5.2 requirement...I've downloaded python 1.5.2
for both linux and win32 from python.org, and installed it on both
platforms prior to downloading Zope..AFAIK, python is working correctly on
both platforms

- The zope I've downloaded is the latest (well, in the case of linux, it
might have been beta4 or beta5...for Win32, it was released Aug 19...I
downloaded it last Saturday)

- I've tried Zope with Apache on linux, but had problems with the
mod_rewrite changes (the more complex apache config issues are not my best
point).  So I tried the ZServer on linux...nothing on port 8080.

- On Win32, I run start.bat, the hourglass turns to a hand, and there is
nothing on port 8080 or port 9763 (or port 9673, whichever one the docs
say is correct).  I modified start.bat to use the python that I installed
previously, no change.  The install docs say to look for a file called
"SITENAME.exe" after a successful Win32 install of Zope...there is no such
file anywhere on the system

- I will gladly volunteer to write docs for Zope...I do not expect
everything for free (which is why I tried everything on my own before
coming to the list...I prefer to solve things myself) and I do not expect
perfect support or perfect docs from the makers of Zope...I *do* expect to
be able to get it installed, considering my experience level.  If I can
get this working, on either the linux or Win32 systems, I will gladly
document the steps I had to take...so far, following the install docs
hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Thanks again for the quick replies and the help.

- John