[Zope] Some newbie questions

Phil Harris phil@philh.org
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:43:36 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_03E1_01BEF562.4D7388D0

You might want to look at Emacs for win32 as an alternative, it works =
great for plain editing via FTP to Zope.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David C. Morrill=20
  To: Zope@zope.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 02, 1999 4:10 PM
  Subject: [Zope] Some newbie questions

  I've been following Zope for a couple of months now, and in the last =
week or so I've started using it seriously for building a web site for =
my wife's business. After creating quite a few folders and DTML =
documents, I'd like to find a way to streamline the management =
interface.

  My first thought was to reorganize some of the management pages, but =
I'm having some trouble trying to figure out where they are defined =
(e.g. manage_workspace) and how to go about changing them once I find =
them. Acquisition is really cool, but it can make tracking things down =
somewhat problematic at times. Anyone got any pointers about where I =
should be looking?

  I also saw the article John Udell(?) wrote at Byte.com about Zope and =
some of the forum discussion there that followed. One forum article =
mentioned that Web-DAV could be used with IE5 by opening Zope as a Web =
Folder. This sounded intriguing, so I tried it (after having to =
completely re-install IE5 to get Web Folder support to work right :-(.=20
  =20
  However, I must be missing the point, or have the wrong idea about =
what it will allow me to do. If I open 'http://MyZopeSite:8080/' I get a =
nice file folder view of my Zope site. But when I try to drag a DTML =
document to an editor, I get an error dialog saying 'An error occurred =
copying some or all of the selected files'. If I try to open =
'http://MyZopeSite:8080/manage' I get an error saying it can't open the =
page as a Web Folder. What am I doing wrong? And when it works right, =
what should I be able to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  BTW, I found the mini-HOWTO's on DTML Document/Method differences and =
Namespace management to be very helpful. They cleared up several points =
that had been pretty murky in my understanding of Zope. Hopefully these =
will be added to the main documentation at some point.

  Dave Morrill

------=_NextPart_000_03E1_01BEF562.4D7388D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D2>You might want to look =
at Emacs for=20
win32 as an alternative, it works great for plain editing via FTP to=20
Zope.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:dmorrill@austin.rr.com" =
title=3Ddmorrill@austin.rr.com>David C.=20
  Morrill</A> </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:Zope@zope.org"=20
  title=3DZope@zope.org>Zope@zope.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, September 02, =
1999 4:10=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Zope] Some newbie=20
  questions</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've been following Zope for a couple =
of months=20
  now, and in the last week or so I've started using it seriously for =
building a=20
  web site for my wife's business. After creating quite a few folders =
and DTML=20
  documents, I'd like to find a way to streamline the management=20
  interface.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My first thought was to reorganize =
some of the=20
  management pages, but I'm having some trouble trying to figure out =
where they=20
  are defined (e.g. manage_workspace) and how to go about changing them =
once I=20
  find them. Acquisition is really cool, but it can make tracking things =
down=20
  somewhat problematic at times. Anyone got any pointers about where I =
should be=20
  looking?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also saw the article John Udell(?) =
wrote at=20
  Byte.com about Zope and some of the forum discussion there that =
followed. One=20
  forum article mentioned that Web-DAV could be used with IE5 by opening =
Zope as=20
  a Web Folder. This sounded intriguing, so I tried it (after having to=20
  completely re-install IE5 to get Web Folder support to work right :-(. =

  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>However, I must be missing the point, =
or have the=20
  wrong idea about what it will allow me to do. If I open '<A=20
  href=3D"http://MyZopeSite:8080/'">http://MyZopeSite:8080/'</A>&nbsp;I =
get a nice=20
  file folder view of my Zope site. But when I try to drag a DTML =
document to an=20
  editor, I get an error dialog saying 'An error occurred copying some =
or all of=20
  the selected files'. If I try to open '<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://MyZopeSite:8080/manage">http://MyZopeSite:8080/manage</A>'=
 I get=20
  an error saying it can't open the page as a Web Folder. What am I =
doing wrong?=20
  And when it works right, what should I be able to do? Any help will be =
greatly=20
  appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BTW, I found the mini-HOWTO's on DTML =

  Document/Method differences and Namespace management to be very =
helpful. They=20
  cleared up several points that had been pretty murky in my =
understanding of=20
  Zope. Hopefully these will be added to the main documentation at some=20
  point.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dave=20
Morrill</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03E1_01BEF562.4D7388D0--