[Zope] a quick note on a redhat 6.0/apache install

Stuart Woolford stuartw@newmail.net
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:54:46 +1200

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> At 06:17 06/09/99 , Stuart Woolford wrote:
>
> >Having done great battle to get 2.0.0 zope working under apache, I thought I'd
> >pass on a couple of tips:
> >
> >0 - remember to run the install script in the zope directory, and check you
> >have the zope/pcgi/pcgi-wrapper executable
> >
> >1 - you need to add the required lines to the httpd.conf
> >(/etc/httpd/httpd.conf) apache file as per the existing documentation.
> >
> >2 - you need to make Zope.cgi in both the zope directory and the
> >/home/httpd/cgi-bin directory *readable by the zope process*- which gets
> >run as
> >nobody - THIS IS EASY TO MISS!!!!
>
> You don't need the Zope.cgi in the Zope directory, see note below.

This I know, I keep one there as a 'backup' and for easy refference, but good
point.

> >3 - user 'nobody' must be able to execute the Zope.cgi and pcgi-wrapper
> >programs
> >
> >4 - you must start the zope server (from in the zope directory, and usually as
> >root ) by running './start -p ./Zope.cgi' (hey, there are other ways, but this
> >is for a simple test) - and leave it running while you test access.
>
> If you start with -p /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi you won't need the
> Zope.cgi in your home directory at all. Zope uses it to see where the
> socket file will reside I believe.
>
> >5 - With (from memory) the normal setup strings for httpd.conf, you need to
> >access either
> >http://localhost/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi
> >or
> >http://localhost/Zope/
> >*note the trailing slash- it's required*
>
> Hmm.. if the / is required this is probably a bug. DC? I CCed
> support@digicool.com for this reason.

It is required to match the rewriting rule I'm using (the standard zope 2.0.0
one I think) inside apache, it's not a Zope requirement, without it, the URL
does not match, so no rewrite (which is why it's not required on the direct URL)

> >6 - zope/var must be writable by the Zope server *and* (I think) by the
> >pcgi-wrapper, so must be writable by user 'nobody' (this needs checking, it's
> >from memory..)
>
> Not the pcgi-wrapper, only the var directory

I guess you mean not the pcgi-wrapper, only Zope Server?

> >  7 - if things don't work, look in ALL the
> >error/log files for hints (the files in /etc/httpd/logs and zope/var)
>
> Very important hint =). Also, use the PCGI sanity checker from:
>
>    http://starship.python.net/crew/jbauer/persistcgi/pcgifile/
>
> It is a CGI script that'll check your Zope.cgi file on just about
> everything that can go wrong.
Stuart Woolford, stuartw@newmail.net
Unix Consultant.
Software Developer.