[Zope] acl_users dtml access help please...

Stuart Woolford stuartw@newmail.net
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:33:44 +1200

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> At 11:47 08/09/99 , Stuart Woolford wrote:

<deletia>
> >I also need to change the roles of users between a defined set I have in
> >select
> >lists on the form, I cannot work out how to do this, I either need to use
> >manage_users('Change',...), for which I have to know their previous password,
> >or I need to give them a new password, I cannot work out how to address the
> >password a user already has, which is in the __ variable (to make it hard to
> >get at, I'm guessing). This is in Zope 2.0.0, BTW.

<deletia>

> You will need to use an External Method to be able to call _getPassword on
> a user object. External Methods are allowed to call methods starting with
> an underscore.
>
> Don't try and read the __ variable, because that is not part of the User
> object API. UserDB for example uses _getPassword to return the password
> stored in the backend database.
>
> --
> Martijn Pieters, Web Developer

Thanks for the quick reply - damb! I was hoping to get away without an external
method, there is a dtml-public interface for everything else needed for this
job - just not the password :( still - an external method shim to get at it is
quite trivial....

Stuart Woolford, stuartw@newmail.net
Unix Consultant.
Software Developer.