[Zope] Zope 2 lacunae

victor@idaccr.org victor@idaccr.org
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:19:56 -0700

I've installed Zope 2.0.0 on my win95 machine, and am now trying to develop a simple Zope Product API, and am following the tutorial "Approaching the Zope Product API".  However, I'm running into a few fundamental problems which would have been helped by entries in the documentation:

1. Page 6 suggests the following sort of inheritence:

class Poll(
   Acquisition.Implicit,
   Persistent,
   AccessControl.Role.RoleManage,
   OFS.SimpleItem.Item):

however, it doesn't say what import statements to use.  When I tried the "obvious" ones: Acquisition, Persistent, AccessControl and OFS they don't work.  In fact when I searched around and found lib/Python/Persistence there's nothing in it (but a comment).

2. The version of Test.py distributed with windows appears to be missing the following crucial lines (which I found in z2.py).  Without them scripts running under Test can't find the modules.

# Have to fiddle the path for win32 binary dist.
# to ensure the bundled python libs are used.
swhome=r'D:\MyHome'
import sys
sys.path.insert(0, '%s/lib/python' % swhome)
sys.path.insert(1, '%s/lib/python1.5' % swhome)
sys.path.insert(2, '%s/lib/python1.5/plat-win' % swhome)
sys.path.insert(3, '%s/lib/python1.5/win32' % swhome)
sys.path.insert(4, '%s' % swhome)

Someone PLEASE update the documentation, so that I and others don't need
to waste a lot of time hunting around to see where these things are.

              Victor Miller