[Zope] Compressing the zope database and remote updates..

Stuart Woolford stuartw@newmail.net
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:07:20 +1200

Well, firstly I must say that Zope 2.0.0 is so far proving itself a wonderful
system, quite refreshing in its ability to create stunning results from a bit of
carefull work.

One thing I would like to know, is there a method of 'compressing' the
ZODB3 database (Data.fs from memory) - ie: making it forget all the old undo
versions held internally, and reduce to the minimum required contents for the
system as it currently is?

Another idea I would love to see is a method of doing a minimum-content
transfer from one system to another, ie: I have a running server (the main
system) in one location, I have a slowish link to this, and run a copy of the
zope system on my local devel machine to allow for fast changes. It would be
great to be able to just transfer the minimum changes to the remove ZODB3
database through a net link, rather than compress, transfer, and uncompress the
whole db.. I would think with all the versioning systems in place a process
could be written to do this via the normal interfaces into the databases????

Anyone have any input on these two ideas?

Stuart Woolford, stuartw@newmail.net
Unix Consultant.
Software Developer.
Supra Club of New Zealand.