[Zope] RE: Two newbie questions

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:24:49 -0400

David Kankiewicz wrote:

> Let me get this straight, how much faster is a python product compared
> to something like this done with ZClasses with some
> properties, ZCatalog
> with a method to display them, and a few other things?.

Not at all. There is nothing inherently fast or slow about a ZClass
object versus one defined in purely in Python.

> I see some of you extra options that your proposal includes as only
> impossible with a product, but just want to clarify, to myself, what
> should be done in Zope and what should be done in a product. (Its
> getting harder to see the difference)

I don't follow you here. Many things can be implemented as:

  1. A collection of standard Zope objects
  2. A Zope Product built with ZClasses
  3. A Zope Product built with Python

There are many trade offs. In general I would suggest trying the easiest
thing first. As you run into technical limitations, redo parts or all of
it a different way.

Good luck.

-Amos