[Zope] Python 1.5.2 on Slackware 4.0

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:59:53 +0200

Zope requires libc6. That is, glibc-2.x.x. Although glibc-2 is in a flux
these days -- knowledgeable people have been unable to furnish me with a
good answer to the question "Which should I use?", but 2.0.6 (iirc) should
be the most stable. 2.0.7 (again, iirc) fixes some threading problems but
isn't done. This was a month ago or so; things may have changed since then.

Python can live happily with the libc5 that comes with Slackware, but some
features -- like the time module -- will not be available.

Unfortunately, the tale does not end here. We've had problems with Python
1.5.2 and glibc 2.0.6 on Slackware. Zope 1.x seems to work fine in this
environment, but Zope 2.x simply crashes with a core dump. Same thing
happens with dynamically loaded (.so) Python extension modules, including my
own which work perfectly elsewhere. There is evidently a glitch somewhere
that makes libc6 unstable on Slackware.

The response from Digital Creations has essentially been "Sorry, no
Slackware support". They don't run it themselves, so they can't test it out.

For more information, you might want to give the Python and/or Linux
newsgroups a shot. Also see the glibc documentation. And if you find a way
to run glibc-2 flawlessly on Slackware, could you please let us know?

--
Alexander Staubo  |  http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"What the hell, he thought, you're only young once, and threw