[Zope] ZCatalog, SQL database and PDF files

Kam Cheung zope@littlecircle.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:22:40 -0400

> ZCatalog can index any object in the Zope ODB. So, for external data,
> you'll need some kind of object that'll model that external data, i.e.
> define methods that return that data you want to have indexed and/or
> included in the Catalog.
>
> I don't think this has to be an object for every item you need to catalog,
> I am pretty sure you can do with only one object for every type of item.
> But I haven't done this kind of thing yet.

Did anyone have done something like that successfully? To people like me, a
How-To is needed seriously!

Also, one more question for combining ZCatalog and SQL Database searching --
do I really need to index the data in the SQL database into the ZCatalog
when they are already indexed in the SQL database? Can I somehow link the
ZCatalog to a SQL search interface so that when I search a ZCatalog, it will
trigger the SQL search, and at the end combine the result into one report?
Or, am I making it more complicated than it should be?

Kam