[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Caching

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:51:18 -0400

> How about *result* cacheing for non-SQL objects?  On numerous
occasions I
> have wished that I could tell Zope to cache the output of a  document
or
> method across requests.  Then I would want to clear the  cached value
either
> after some elapsed time, or on-demand as the underlying data  changed.
Even
> better would be the ability to write a method which decides on a
> per-request basis when to clear the cache.

this is one of the things that makes Vignette soooo expensive.  They do
this very thing.  There are options to store the rendered non-SQL object
to a filesystem.  If you've been to a Vignette-powered site.  Notice if
the first character in the object is a 1 or a 0.  '0' means it was
dynamically generated when you visited, a '1' means it was served from
their cache.

Certainly, getting some of this kind of stuff into Zope would have a
tremendous impact on scalability.  Patches accepted :^)

Regards,
--Rob