[Zope] DCOracle Compile Problem

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:47:38 -0400

> When trying to compile the DCOracle package, I get the error below.
>
> I am using Oracle8i, version 8.1.5.0.0. I have checked ORACLE_HOME,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I can connect with sqlplus.  ProC is installed and
> configured. I know I am missing something simple, but its going
> right past me.

Compiling Oracle is not for the faint of heart.  With each release brings
new library orders and contortions that you have to go through.  We do our
testing on Solaris (x86 actually) because that's what our paying customer
runs (the run Sparc, but...).  It would be great to be able to ./configure
it, but it just doesn't work in practice, so if you don't understand Oracle,
you're going to have a hard time getting it compiled.  Perhaps we can move
some of the stuff to more compartmentalized options (more like what _tkinter
uses).  This is something to think about.

If people can send me the options they used with getting it compiled along
with;

    * OS and revision
    * Oracle revision
    * Incense burned while compiling

I'll be happy to include some information with the distribution.

Chris