[Zope] Re: multimedia ZClasses

Michael Rose rose@tele.dtu.dk
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:47:11 +0200

Brain Lloyd writes:
>... but isn't the effectiveness
> of streaming mostly a question of connection quality between
> the client and server? In my understanding, if a client were to
> request a big mp3, it would get loaded into memory as an object
>(with a non-trivial footprint). Zope would then start pushing the
> data back down the pipe to the client. The "streaming media" client
> would basically cache a certain amount of the incoming data and try to
> play and keep the buffer filled.

Like Brian, I am straying dangerously close to a precipice of
ignorance here, but to make Zope capable of true streaming you'ld
probably want to implement the Realtime Transport Protocol (
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/avt-charter.html ). A good overview
(with a QuickTime emphasis) can be found at
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/quicktime/qtdevdocs/REF/Streaming.htm

Apple's streaming RTP server software is open source (Darwin) and
people are porting it to Linux.

As Brian suggests, for the moment it's probably best to simply link
to the streaming media.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael Rose
Center for Tele-Information,    Technical University of Denmark
mailto:rose@tele.dtu.dk              http://www.cti.dtu.dk/personal/rose
Multimedia in the Home - http://mmhome.cit.dk
'and what is the use of a computer' thought Alice 'without pictures
or conversation'                      with apologies to Lewis Carroll