[Zope] Important database corrupted! Please help!

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:22:44 +0100

At 9:42 pm +0800 12/9/99, Martin Dougiamas wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been running an application with Zope 1.10.2 for some
>months now, collecting important data.  It's been stable and terrific.
>
>Unfortunately, a disk full error has caused corruption of the
>Data.bbb file.  :-(  :-(   I need to recover it!
>
>The corruption is occuring at 508093 byes, but the full Data.bbb file
>is actually 16010912 bytes!    Truncating the file at 508093 does
>allow Zope to start up, at least, but almost all of my data is gone.

I don't know if this will help, but you can use the bbb.py program to
do some things such as 'undo'. This from the bbb.py file;
                 undo --
                         Output a transaction summary that shows the position of
                         each transaction.  This is useful for undoing
                         transactions from the OS command line when
                         some programming error has caused objects to get to
                         a state where Zope can't start up.

                         Eventually, there will be an undo utility for undoing
                         individual transactions.  For now, you can simply
                         truncate the file at the position of a problem
                         transaction to return the database to the state it
                         was in before the transaction

It's possible (though unlikely) that using the -f command (convert to
ZODB 3 format) *may* be more lenient about database corruption.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what else you can do...
sorry,
tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2