[Zope] FreeBSD 2.2.7: Can't get started.

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:20:57 -0400

   <snip>

> ------
> 1999-09-14T06:00:48 INFO(0) ZServer Monitor Server (V1.5)
> started on port 8099
>
> ...and it waits there.  (Names have been changed to protect
> the server.)
> This looks good.  It tells me an HTTP server (Medusa) is listening on
> port 8080.
>
> So I open another window and try to connect a client to that server:
>
> $ lynx http://localhost:8080/
>
> Lynx eventually replies: "HTTP request sent; waiting for response."
> and waits... and waits... and waits.
>
> If I try to connect lynx to another port (where there is no server),
> I quickly get the message "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."
> So, it looks like Lynx is able to connect to Medusa.  However, Medusa
> never sends back any response.  The first window, where ZServer wrote
> its startup messages to stderr, also never says anything.
>
> So what's wrong?  How can I diagnose the trouble?  Is there a log file
> being written anywhere which might be recording a clue as to what to
> try next?  Has anyone had similar experience on a FreeBSD system with
> Zope?

Try starting Zope with one thread (run z2.py with a '-t 1' argument.

If this doesn't solve it, enter your Zope/lib/python directory and run
python1.5.2:

[michel@korak python]$ python1.5.2
Python 1.5.2 (#1, Jul  5 1999, 14:47:37)  [GCC egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs- on linux2

## import the zope system

Py$ import Zope, ZPublisher

## make a request...

Py$ ZPublisher.Zope('')

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Zope</TITLE>

If you see the above request work, then it's not Zope that's your
problem, it's medusa.  This will at least help you narrow it down.  It
the above request *does* freeze, you'll need to step into the debugger
and find at which point it does.

-Michel