[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Zope vs. Microsoft Dev Days 99 - mini-report

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:28:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Brad Clements wrote:

> 4. Finally I saw something interesting for Zope.
>
> IIS 5 has two new features.
>
> Server.Execute, and Server.Transfer
>
> The first, Server.Execute, allows an ASP script to be called "as a
> subroutine". We have this now with Zope, its very easy.. <dtml-var ...>
>
> The second, Server.Transfer, allows an ASP script to pass control to
> another script on the same server without using a redirect.
Try <dtml-return script>
> Perhaps using the new RETURN tag would work, but I don't think that
> starts a new transaction. You could imagine an "add" form that updates
> a database, then wants to redisplay the master detail page.
Well, you can always commit an transaction early.

> If the "add" form redirects the client to the master detail page using
> something like the return tag, if the master detail page generates an
> exception, the add will be rolled back because its part of the same
> transaction. Right?
Well, perhaps this is right? I mean, if you have a broken web app, perhaps
you should not use it in a production environment. Consider that many
users will submit the data multiple times. Much fun sorting that out.

Additionally, there is a <dtml-try> construct already here ;)

> I think a function like RESPONSE.localredirect() would be handy. It
> would accept URLs that only reference the local server. Internally it
> would complete the current transaction, then "fake up" a new request
> from the client to the new URL, as if the client had actually requested
> the new URL.
Well, to be completely correct, it would have to emulate cookie behaviour
of the client. Bad. How should the server know if the cookie will get
accepted or rejected?

> Thoughts?
Well, redirecting locally is well enough supported with ZOPE ;)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256