[Zope] ZClasses design questions

Tom Schwaller Tom.Schwaller@linux-magazin.de
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:36:01 +0200

Hi all,

I have the impression that the following question was overseen
(I should not "answer" a question by another question :-))

I would personally be very glad to see as much ZClass
examples as possible, just to see if what I'm doing now
is the "right thing". Most interesting would be so see
the zclasses used on zope.org:18200 of course :-)
(is there a chance to get an export of the Product(s),
even if they are not polished).

Here is one of my general design questions for zclasses:

I will have an folderish "author" class and a special
"article" class. To organize the workflow I prefer
to have the articles of one author in his "folder",
but once finished with them, I prefer to have them in
a "issue" folder with the article connected to the author
(How?? Several authors are possible (where to put the articles?)
Collecting the  articles from all the authors each time I want
to see the content of one issue gives no sense, this is
fixed after pubblishing and will not change and I want
something like /issue/1999/10/Zope and not /author/Zope
in the overview for the links. Generating it once is
the best solution in that case I suppose..).

so I have the dichotomy

article/author
author/article

Of course I would have uses SQL in the past (but ZClasses
are way cooler and more flexible) and with it you have
a connector table, which you should use in this case with
Zope to (e.g. ZCatalog)? But the problem remains: where to
put the article objects?? My article objects will also
travel around from editor to editor. Putting thousends of
them in an article folder is also not so good, when
you work with them all day..

I have at least 10 other examples, which I am designing
right kow, but I feel a litte clueless (kind of OOP-Design
question in combination with ZCatalog.)

That's why e.g the Zope.org zclasses would help me and other people
a lot I suppose, because there you have e.g. the same dichotomy

members/How-to
How-tos/(from) members

connected by ZCatalog, but seeing is better than guessing in that case.

KM|net News is at the moment my only livesaver (thanks a lot for it),
but more examples would be very welcome. You can have mine to of course
(although they will be very special and with German attribute-names!)
but there's a long way to go (right now a kind of contact management
system is my top project, but I need some advise and ZClasses Zen from
the Zope-masters for not designing it in a bad way..)

cu and any example welcome...

--

Tom