[Zope] Security and containment (was Re: [Zope] Acquisition? Did I just lose my Zen?) Zen?)

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:30:59 +0000

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

(snip)
> I have a folder
>
> /
>
> index_html
>
> login/
>   index_html
>
>   userfolder/
>      user1
>
> somethingelse/
>   stillsomethingelse/
>
> Now calling a url like somethingelse/stillsomethingelse/login/
> gives the index_html from login, as it should. But if I set security in the
> userfolder under login to a role associated with user1, acquisition will not
> work as (I) expected. User1 will authenticate against a straight url login/,
> but it will not against somethingelse/stillsomethingelse/login/. User1
> _will_ authenticate if he is in a userfolder in /

This is a function of the Zope security model.
A user is not allowed to access a protected resource
outside of the containment hierarchy where there user
is defined.

> Does this mean that acquisition does not (always) work between objects that
> are on a same level

This is a feature of the security model, no acquisition.

> (if this means something in the ZODB)?

Acquisition and ZODB are entirely independent.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.