[Zope] Changing Contexts (Was: [Zope] Acquisition? Did I just lose my Zen?)

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:13:20 -0400

Paulo Eduardo Neves wrote:

> "Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:
> >
> > Got it.  Then, I agree with the other folks.  How can you override the
> > context of the place where you acquired it _from_ with the context of
> > the place where you acquired it _to_?  That would seem to be a very
> > important ability...
>
> It would be really nice. Beyond a /noframes version we'd do things like:
>
> 1) Have a /print folder so if we call /print/mypage instead of /mypage
> the result would be a printable version of the page.
>
> 2) A /text folder where all image objects would be replaced by dtml
> methods giving us a text version of a site.
>
> 3) Any kind of /otherDesign folder with a customized version of your
> site. Nice for syndicalization.
>
> 4) A /german folder that have a LANG="de" property to make a german
> version of a site. It would be easy to have a multilingual site.
>
> Is it possible to code a special kind of folder that changes the
> aquisition order?

One thing I'd like to point out here, is that you are getting into
something very, very deep.  This discussion has gone pretty far, but I
still dont get it.  What I want to see is a very, very trivial example
of what you want to do, and why you can't do it now.  There may be
another solution.

The next point is that we will soon be modeling this.  Modeling, for
those of you who don't know, is just like modeling a physical
structure.  If you're building a shack (a small perl script) you really
wouldn't need to model it out.  If you were building a skyscraper (Zope)
you would probably need a good set of blueprints.  These blueprints are
written in a language called UML, which is a visual language.  We have
allready published one piece of Zope in UML
(http://www.zope.org:18200/Documentation/Developer/Models/ZODB) the
object database, and in the next couple of days here I'll have released
a very interesting model, the ZCatalog.

Acquisition needs to be modeled, then we can truely get what's going on
here.  In the meantime, let's hear some simplification of this problem,
I'm still lost on what we're talking about.

-Michel