[Zope] Re: Transaction support on MySQL

Bjorn Stabell Bjorn Stabell <bjorn@stabell.priv.no>
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:17:27 +0800

Evan wrote:
> Unless you want to generate PDF or Postscript files on the fly, you are
> *not* going to get what you want from a browser-based application,
> regardless of the server.  Neither Zope nor any other Web App can
> control how your browser will print an HTML page (AFAIK).

There is a PDF package for Perl, but I don't know of any for Python.
If there are, then you can relatively easily generate PDF on the fly.

Another option is to use Flash; although I'm not sure you can control
the size very well, you can control the relative position very well,
and Flash 4 can even get data dynamically from the server so the
Flash file can remain the same while the data it shows can easily be
changed.

It would be cool if someone developed a system that used PDF or Flash
instead of HTML as the default presentation format, but that got all
the data from (text) objects in Zope.  Both PDF and Flash support
hyperlinks, so it should be doable.

Bye,
--
Bjorn Stabell <bjorn@stabell.priv.no>