[Zope] How Fast & Stable??

Geoff Caplan geoff@productivity.co.uk
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:32:36 +0100

Hi

We are setting up a web storefront and I have come across Zope towards the
end of a long and frustrating evaluation process.

To be frank, when you get up close most application servers just don't cut
it. ColdFusion, for example, seems to have some serious reliability
problems. Until I spotted Zope, I was pretty much resigned to a
belt-and-braces solution with Perl/Velocigen or Tcl/AolServer. Not an easy
route, but at least it would be reliable.

Compared to raw coding, a Python/Zope/Apache/Solid solution looks
attractive, to say the least. But at this relatively early stage in its
development, can Zope truly deliver?

So a plea to you folks who are actually using Zope 2 in a production
setting - is it fast enough and stable enough for us to (literally) bet our
house on? It will be running unattended on a remote server (probably Linux).
We are planning a niche storefront site which will probably get modest
traffic of around 50,000 hits a day with around 3,000 products in the
database.

Zope is obviously a great product, and most people on this list will be
evangelists. But I really would appreciate your objective views. If you
prefer privacy, please contact me direct: geoff@productivity.co.uk.

Thanks

Geoff Caplan