[Zope] IE file upload problems

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.LeidenUniv.nl
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:30:46 +0200

We are building a system in which users can upload all sorts of files to a
zope database; they do not have access to the management screens. Nothing
spectacular so far. Now it appears that in _some_ installations of Internet
Explorer (but not all) for whatever reason uploaded files are stripped of
their extension, so that foo.doc becomes foo. to Zope. This makes the
documents end up with a content type property of apllication/octet-stream
(or something alike) and clicking on the document prompts for a download
instead of opening a word viewer.

SOme questions:
- has anyone seen this before
- what is causing this
- how it can be solved (other than not using IE)

I know there are ways to hack around this, but they are all either clumsy or
complicated.

Rik