[Zope] Zope in Portals

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:33:55 -0400

How many Zope threads were running at the time?  This is an obvious
tweak.  You wouldn't slam Apache with 200 concurrent requests when
'MaxClients' was set to 5.

Also, how realistic is that dataset?  Sure it lets you flex the muscle a
bit, but I suspect your full dynamic path involves alot of other systems
too, like relational database.

Keep in mind also that Zope is a dynamic system which is, by concept,
slower than static systems like Apache.  Apache is also written in C,
most of Zope is written in Python.  Python is an awesome language, and
zope in infinitly extensable, but the cost of this extensability is
bytecode interpreter overhead.  Many parts of zope are written in C for
the reason of speed.

If you compared Zope's speed to other fully featured applications
servers, I think you'd be surprised at how fast it really is.

> And
> how bad is it to use PCGI/Apache instead of ZServer ? Is the future
> of Zope focused in developing Zserver or integrating Zope well with
> other Web Server such as Apache ?

Both.

> 3. It seemed to me that Zope doesn't support mySQL very well,
> being Oracle
> mentioned all the time. As mySQL is still our main SQL
> platform, i ask if
> mySQL DA is still being supported and/or developed?

Not supported.  I don't know if anyone is developing (I think someone
is).

-Michel