[Zope] FreeBSD : anyone else noticed kernel "table full" errors whenZope is installed ? Zope is installed ?

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:11:02 +0800

At 03:36 PM 9/27/99 +0200, Olivier Deckmyn wrote:
>I've had exactly the same pb...
>(I use FreeBSD 3.1)
>The only solution I found was to increase MAXUSERS...

Thanks Olivier.  At least I'm not imagining things.

Does this hint at scalability problems if I'm suffering this
problem with zero load yet didn't suffer from this on a CGI-based
web server with very heavy load ?  Or is this (as I hope) just an
initial cost of running PCGI/Zope that won't be extrapolated
with load ?

At 01:42 PM 9/28/99 -0400, Thaxter, Jason M. wrote:

>I have had the same setup without having this problem.  Python is something
>of a cpu hog, and I have managed (during load testing) to overload it once
>or twice (kernel message: Python exited on signal 11) causing a need to
>restart Zope.

I've had a couple of "Python exit on signal 11" problems too - again on
a development machine (ie. next to zero load) but assumed that's because
I was doing something spazzy with a 500,000-record DB.

>Once I even bounced the box.  But once I started running Zope
>with more threads (8), I was no longer able to kill anything, even when it
>got swamped.

Ah, ok - maybe I'll try that though I'm almost certain that that will
cause more of the first problems (above).

>Could you have some issue with disk space or inodes on one of your relevant
>filesystems?

I don't think so. It's a very well endowed machine <g> and was working
completely fine on a diet of pure 100% CGI.

chas