[Zope] Allaire Spectra

Jay, Dylan djay@lucent.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:20:06 +1000

I think one big thing you missed was marketing. Have a look at the spectra
web-site. It says in very clear terms what it will give you from a buisiness
point of view. Zope may have some description of its technical archetecture
(which is great for those that want to cut through the BS) but this makes it
a lot harder to gleam the the direct benifits of using Zope are. Things like
collaborative editing, robustness from intergrated transactions etc.

I'm going to give a seminar on Zope to the lucent web community (not a small
thing) in a month and this what I'm going to have to do. I realized that
rattling of what it is is only half effective, I have to say what it can do
for people and then say how.

Also, I think a good analysis of the buisness case for using Zope, esp
comparing it to what the spectre rhetoric says, will hopefully make clear
where Zope is falling down. For all the patting on the back everyone does
Zope still has problems. It has fantastic promise and in most areas does a
great job, but I think it has a long way to go before it can be said to be
way ahead of the competition. Anyway, my point is that we should examine
Zope from the point of view of what it offers to non technical people who
can't afford to experiment.

At the moment my particular headache is ZClasses. Great idea just to
complicated and hard to get working.