[Zope] Large user populations and local roles

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 12:57:21 -0600

At 11:41 AM 4/1/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Here's my situation. I'm starting to develop a Zope-based site that could
>have 100,000 or more (a lot more!) self-registered users and maybe 20 to
>30 content creators for about 15 different content areas with only a few
>content creators per area.
>
>1. I think the large number of users should be no problem for one of the
>DB-type user folders (GUF, UserDB, MySQLUF, ... yet to be determined)
>2. I think the number of content creators and areas is within reason for
>using local roles. They won't change often.
>3. I can't imagine what will happen when I want to add a local role and
>Zope tries to build a SELECT list of 100,000 names and sends it to my browser!
>
>So am I crazy to use Zope for something this size, or just too dense to
>see the obvious solution?

I know that UserDB lets you modify all SQL methods and DTML methods it is
using. So just write more intelligent methods, and make use of the great
batching features of DTML-IN. Also, in your cases I would develop
additional admin methods that allow you to do things faster.
For example you want to add a certain role to all your users, just have a
special SQL method for that.
You may also want to alter your user table. For example give your user
table additional fields, like a admin:boolean or whatever you need. UserDB
gives you a lot of flexibility.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter - (901) 573-3308 - srichter@cbu.edu
CBU - Physics & Chemistry; Framework Web - Web Design & Development