[Zope] Linuxworld's article (and a plea for a better document ation)

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:43:24 -0400

> Have you seen this article?
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-03/lw-03-penguin_6.html

I've seen it and I agree.

> IMHO, Zope urgently needs:
> 1) A good introductory guide (the existing tutorial, clearly, is not
> enough...)

I think that this is the most important missing piece of Zope
documentation. That's why I'm writing it!

  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Projects/Tutorial

You can read about my ideas and download a preview of the tutorial. I'm
very interested in feedback.

> 2) A sample web site showing the most important features at
> work (this would
> imply the automated installation and configuration of the
> required software,
> like MySQL e.g.)

This is a great idea, and I'm trying to do this in the tutorial by
taking a hands on approach where you explore and change working Zope
objects while reading about them.

> 3) A set of task-specific guides (in this case, too, the existing
> documentation seems to be not enough for an absolute beginner...)

I think that the Zope.org how-tos
(http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To) do a pretty good job of this.
It's true that they need better organization and better author-feedback
facilities, but on the whole I think they are pretty useful.

Thanks for your ideas. We know that Zope needs better documentation. And
we *are* trying to make Zope documentation better. For more information
on some of our projects see:

  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Projects/Projects

-Amos

--