[Zope] Why so many problems with database adapters?

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:24:38 -0500

Graham Chiu <anon_emouse@hotmail.com>

> In article <38F14904.20C18046@palladion.com>, Tres Seaver
> <tseaver@palladion.com> writes
> >As a long-time Wiki fan (I turned DC on to Wiki back in February) I don't
> >favor Wiki for this kind of information.  Wiki discards history in order
> >to favor the "evolving consensus" of its community, whereas issue tracking
> >is more of a
>
> Surely that's the user who is discarding history.  You can just keep
> adding below the previous text ...

My point is that wiki works best as a "group mind" tool, rather than a
"threaded discussion" tool.  While it is possible to do "threaded discussion"
on a wiki page, via convention, the resulting page has less WikiNature than
one in which the participants go back and revise the page.  See::

  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreadMode

  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiNature

  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreadModeConsideredHarmful

on the "mother-of-all-wikis" for more on this.  To quote Ward Cunningham::

  There are many places on the net better than here to hold a
  conversation. And there are many better ways to publish a web page too.
  Wiki is different. As the founder of wiki I thank those who struggle to
  make its difference an advantage.

The discussions surrounding a particular bug in an issue tracking system
*need* to be linear / historical, in order to allow for correlation with
changes to the source.  Squishdot, ZDiscussions, or Tracker all provide
this functionality, and support it structurally, rather than via
convention.

Tres.
Tres Seaver  tseaver@digicool.com   tseaver@palladion.com