[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:11:58 -0600

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> --- In zope@egroups.com, Chris McDonough <chrism@d...>  wrote:
> >  Both of you seem to be using Sybase DAv2, for which there was a known
> >memory leak.  The latest release got rid of it.  Are you running the
> >latest releases, respectively?
>
> That was my fear at first. But I am using the latest version
> (SybaseDA-2.0b2), so that's not the problem.
>
> As I have pointed out in another message, the memory leak is
> from some of the Zope's management methods. One of the
> symptoms is that when you do a "Find", the memory usage
> does not go back down to where it was before. (It does goes
> up and then down, just not to the original point.) Now the

What are you using (precisely) to determine this? What is the difference
in prior-find memory use (if on linux: active, buffers, cache and
shared, please).

Remember that Linux (and a few other *nixes, ISTR) will store some of
the memory in buffers/caches to keep recently or frequently accessed
'things' readily available.

I am curious because I am implementing a rather important (aren't they
all?), large-scale Zope Portal App, and this kind of information is
crucial.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.