[Zope] info: zope complete hanging

Marcus Collins mcollins@sunesi.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:42:56 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the report! It might prove helpful to know the following:

1. Does Zope hang when you access the management interface using
http://path/to/zope/manage_main or ftp?

2. Does Zope hang if you run in single threaded mode (z2.py -t 1)?

3. Are you using the default NUMBER_OF_THREADS (4)?

4. Are you using any database adaptors and, if so, which versions?

5. Is the hanging more or less frequent in Zope 2.1.6 than in 2.1.4?

6. What method of access (HTTP/PCGI/FCGI) do you use for the management
interface? Is this the same protocol you use for the rest of the site?

7. Are you using a binary distribution of Zope, or have you compiled from
source? Ditto for python.

8. Can you cause Zope to hang by refreshing the page a number of times in
quick succession, or by stopping the request and then reloading?

You mentioned that the hanging occurs when an error occurs. Are you
referring to a Zope error, or an error which is logged or displayed on the
console? A traceback or listing of the error might prove useful.

Some of these might just be shots in the dark, but the more information we
can gather, the better! Some also might not be practical for you to try out
(like running Zope single-threaded, if this is a production server).

Tres Seaver suggested this morning that we move discussions like this to a
purpose-built Wiki at zope.org, but as that's now, I suggest we keep the
discussion going on the list until the Wiki can be used.

hth, and thanks!

-- Marcus