[Zope] Re: Zope hanging (poss. threads-related)

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:43:32 -0700

Marcus Collins wrote:

> As a twist to this story, it would be interesting to know if those folk who
> experienced frequent Zope restarts when accessing management screens
> experienced the same problems using just manage_workspace or ftp (thus
> bypassing multiple simultaneous requests from the client). I guess what I'm
> driving at is that this is some kind of timing issue.

I've been suspecting timing as well.  Though we have disabled FTP, or as
our mac users like to call it Fetch, due to notes on these lists that it
may be the source of the problems.  Long story short, we still crash w/o
FTP.  I really lean towards a real core cross protocol timing issue.
From what I see when traffic is up and ZODB writes are probable restarts
aren't far off; traffic low, high /manage activity, you might get a
restart or two; moderate traffic no /manage, things stay up for a longer
period.  Now for our odd situation moderate traffic no /manage on a
slower machine w/ older OS things don't restart.

I just don't know what to make of it.  I wish I could devote more time
to tracking this down, I'm willing to give as much time as I can to help
solve this problem once and for all.

--Thanks for all the help.

--
tonyr@ep.newtimes.com