[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:04:14 -0700

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> As I have pointed out in another message, the memory leak is
> from some of the Zope's management methods. One of the
> symptoms is that when you do a "Find", the memory usage
> does not go back down to where it was before.

This is normal behavior, a Find can potentially activate many objects,
especially if you use an expression, when the find is done, the object
cache is now full.  Before you start the Find, there is a good chance
that the object cache wasn't full.  After a certain period of time, idle
objects will get deactivated from the object cache.

> (It does goes
> up and then down, just not to the original point.) Now the
> thing to do is to pinpoint the Zope method that is causing
> the memory leak.

*If* there is one.  I'm not convinced that there is.

> (I don't want to mislead people into
> thinking that "Find" is the thing causing memory leak...
> it's not. It's a symptom, not a cause. The memory also
> goes up in other Zope management operations, but I still
> need to pinpoint which operations.)

Control_Panel/manage_debug will give your refcounts for all objects in
Zope.  This is the best place to spot potential memory leaks.

-Michel