[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:23:25 -0600

Monty Taylor wrote:

>       Zope version: Zope 2.1.4 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2)
>       Python version: 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 14 2000, 18:27:27) [GCC 2.95.1
> 19990816 (release)]
>       System Platform: sunos5
>       Process ID: 2977 (5)
>       Running for: 7 hours 26 min 7 sec

What about for your test server?
What are the loads/restart frequency of the test server?

> > (7) Memory growth pattern: my Zope starts out with 7 MB in each
> > of the 4 threads. It starts to climb up slowly, by the end of
> > the day it reaches 18 MB per thread. After 3 days it climbs up
> > to 38 MB. That's about 160 MB total. (No, I don't think the
> > threads are sharing memory, because the Linux "top" command
> > also tells me the percentage of memory usage.)
>
> When I restart it, it starts out at about 18Meg. Then it gradually
> grows, and I eventually notice that it's at 258M. I'll keep a better eye
> on that.

So I make sure I understand:
o Your Data.fs is ~525MB
o Zope's memory usage starts at 1t ~18MB
o Zope's memory usage grows for there
o Uptime: Zope is restarted (or is the machine restarted?) a few times a
week

Right?

>       Total number of objects in the database                11057
>       Total number of objects in all of the caches combined       1502
>       Target size 400
>       Target maximum time between accesses 20
>
> I also have Zope on another Solaris Box (which is considerably smaller)

What os is it running?

> and on a Linux machine. Neither present this problem. The other Solaris
> box is our test machine, and no code goes on the Production Box that
> hasn't gone on the test machine, so I'm even more confused. One of our
> first thoughts concerned the compiler on the big boy, as it was put
> there before we got here (old admins) but the same one would go on the
> test as the
> prod.
>
> Anyone else?

Just trying to narrow by process of elimination....
When you put Zope on the big boy, was it a clean install, or was it
copied over from the test machine? If the latter, I am presuming it was
rebuilt, correct? What about options to the compiler (if any), such as
optimizations, architecture-dependent flags, etc.?

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.