[Zope] Counting Memory Usage aka. Reading Top output.

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:23:53 -0400

<everything snipped>

Thanks Bill. No, you don't sound mean but everyone has to learn and
start somewhere. If fortune 500 companies are reading this list to
get an idea of Zope, they are certainly not very bright. Dev lists
mostly contain problems, fixes and newbies not success stories and
Yahoo like sites.

As for top. After that message yest I went looking for more
information on how to read top. I find it very valuable tool in
figuring out just what type of programs are eating what type of
resources. From what I (NOW) understand each one of those python
threads reports the total amount of memory that all of the threads
combined are using. That would make much more sense.

I appreciate you helping out in this.

(now for all of those Fortune 500 CEO's and other lurkers)

<PLUG>
I have been using Zope for 6 months now (after wanting to use it for
12). It is one of the most impressive pieces of software I have ever
come across. In terms of its content management, easy of use,
functionality and speed (yes SPEED) there is nothing out there that
can compete. Don't worry about service and support, hire a smart
person, who knows basic Perl or Python, Apache and some HTML and set
them down with all of the documentation, this list and a shopping
spree at the local bookstore. The Zope movement is strong and growing
everyday. Digital Creations is a huge positive factor and their
success only strengthens the overall power of Zope. Open Source
allows freedom of development and plentiful resources. For the cost
of a developer, $1000 in hardware and a good connection you can build
and support a site that will handle millions of hits a month. ZEO
will allow your company to grow to its hearts desire and never let
your website be the limiting factor.
</PLUG>