[Zope] Zope & international characters

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:41:53 +0200

>Rik Hoekstra wrote:
>>
>> >Hi there,
>> >I don't know if this has ever asked before...
>> >I got Zcatalog on my Zope site and it runs beutifully
>> >EXCEPT that it will only find words that are in English
>> >-and 80% of my site is in Greek !
>>
>> The finding part seems to imply you use the Catalog. If so, that is
right,
>> the Catalog only accepts standard ascii (as used for English). And in
>> general, python (the language Zope works with) does not handle unicode.
All
>> this will probably change in the (not too far) future, but for now, there
is
>> not much to be done about it I'm afraid.
>
>This seems odd to me, as I've successfully used Catalog on portuguese
>words that have accents.  I set the locale using -L when starting up
>zope, and everything works fine.

Ah, yes I now vaguely remember about the locale being introduced. Sorry if
my post was misleading.
The unicode part is still true though, and I wonder about the Greek
characters... This could perhaps be solved by a locale I guess, after all
it's just another encoding set. Mixing with English would be a bad idea,
though. I do not dare to say much more though ;-(

Rik