[Zope] Zope fine tuning HOW-TO / Zope Performance

J. Atwood Jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:25:03 -0400

> If you want to have a fast serving enviroment splitting the work between
> Zope and your basic webserver (we use Apache) is the way to go.  Let
> Apache (or what ever webserver) do the repetative serving of images, and
> pages that don't change often.  This way you free up Zope for doing what
> it does best, managing a dynamic serve environment, and rendering
> dynamic content.

Are you sure that serving images off of Apache has any effect on
performance? I did a lot of testing on that (below) and did see any major
difference whether Zope served up the image or Apache did (out of a Zope
document). There was a slight increase but not enough (I felt) to deal with
the extra hassles of not having the images in Zope.

A test document (test.html) just pointing to one image..

Server Software:        Zope/Zope
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /test.html
Document Length:        137 bytes

Concurrency Level:      25
Time taken for tests:   21.599 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      340000 bytes
HTML transferred:       137000 bytes
Requests per second:    46.30
Transfer rate:          15.74 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     4   205
Processing:   183   528   465
Total:        183   532   670

Concurrency Level:      1000
Time taken for tests:   31.391 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      340000 bytes
HTML transferred:       137000 bytes
Requests per second:    31.86
Transfer rate:          10.83 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        2   203 21006
Processing:   436  4141  4548
Total:        438  4344 25554

If I referenced the image  on the Apache Server at port 8080

Server Software:        Zope/Zope
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /test.html
Document Length:        85 bytes

Concurrency Level:      25
Time taken for tests:   19.514 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      287000 bytes
HTML transferred:       85000 bytes
Requests per second:    51.25
Transfer rate:          14.71 kb/s received

Concurrency Level:      1000
Time taken for tests:   29.301 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      287000 bytes
HTML transferred:       85000 bytes
Requests per second:    34.13
Transfer rate:          9.79 kb/s received

BZ