[Zope] ZClasses and ZCatalog: reindexing problem

Anthony Monta apmonta@excite.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:09:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I've been trying to create a simple, searchable database of scholarly
publications for a university department with a customized ZClass, ZCatalog,
and the ZSearch interface but have run into two problems I cannot solve: 1)
I can add a new catalog-aware class instance which the Catalog will pick up,
but the properties of this new instance (author, pub_title, publisher, year,
etc.) are not made available to search results; 2) the addition of this new
instance prevents the ZSearch interface from returning results for any other
query, even for ones that worked before the addition.

I just don't know why this should be.  I thought the problem lay with the
constructor _add method, but I've read all the tutorials and done the code
changes there: still no success.  I then thought AlexR's suggestion to
create two methods in the ZClass for editing property changes might have
something to do with the plumbing of reindexing, but apparently not.  I then
thought Catalog's reindexing might be messed up by enabled subtransactions,
so I disabled them -- but this didn't help either.  I can snag the new
instance's properties via DTML, so the problem must be with Catalog --
right?

I just don't have the Python smarts to get into the source to see what's
going wrong -- does anyone have any suggestions?  People at this university
are excited about Zope, and some influential eyes are following our
website's development closely.

Grateful for any help,
Anthony Monta
Department of English
Louisiana State University
apmonta@excite.com

BTW, the site is www.english.lsu.edu -- open-source all the way with Linux
and Zope, and no admin problems whatsoever.