[Zope] Unfair Linux Threads And Python Oh My

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:07:47 -0700

I have added my observation to the ZWiki devoted to Zope in production
environments.
http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/Projects/HighlyAvailableZope/UnfairLinuxThreadsAndPythonOhMy

I don't know if this addresses all our troubles but it might be worth
investigating.  I was able to verify, with the example python code, that
this thread thing is an issue on two of our three server; the two that
exhibit unexplained restarts.  The third server which does not restart
also does not suffer from this thread problem.

Does anyone know how to change the scheduling policy for zope/python?
In the quote from the LinuxThreads FAQ there appears to be an indication
that SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR would more precisely define the scheduling
behavior.  Anyone know how to do that?  Would it help?

There is also some indication that this issue is addressed in pthreads
0.8.  I've upgraded a workstation with glibc 2.1.3, which I believe
should have ptheads 0.8, and the problem still exists.

Any ideas?

--
tonyr@ep.newtimes.com